Saturday, July 6, 2013

I Made Cheese Today

Actually, it was yesterday, but I let it hang all night in a cozy bed of cheesecloth and gleaned a total of 34 ounces of beautiful goat milk cheese from 2 gallons of milk. This morning I put it into containers. I haven't yet decided on what to do with the whey, but have it stored in quart jars in the refrigerator for a day or so until I figure out where it's going to go. Got any ideas?

The cheese is wonderful. I think the second recipe that I tried was better than the first, so I'll post the link below. There's something about making cheese from the milk that comes from my goat that is so completely satisfying. I can't describe it.

It tastes really, really good.


6 comments:

A Daughter of the King said...

Here are some ideas:
http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2011/06/16-ways-to-use-your-whey.html

In Progress said...

Whey...freeze it in ice cube trays and pop some into stews, soups, sauces, and shakes for more protein and nutrients and even cook rice in it. If it's unsalted, it can be fed it back to the animals or used to lower the pH value of your garden soil if needed and even sprayed in a mist onto veggie plants that get powdery mildew. The acidity lowers the leaves' pH level and kills the mildew without harming the plant.

I can't eat cheese, of course, so I don't make it, but I save the liquid from pressing tofu and from steaming or boiling veggies and use it for everything above except changing the pH level...though I do sometimes share it with my houseplants as a fertilizer.

Unknown said...

Whooohoooo how exciting! Goats of my own and making cheese is on my list and has been since day of this self sustaining journey we are on. Everyday we get closer and I can't wait. Would love get the recipe you mentioned to file away. Fingers crossed next spring i'll be goat tending :)

wtf-ery said...

Thank you! I have four quarts so I will be putting it up or using it in one or more of these suggested ways!

wtf-ery said...

Thanks a bunch - I'm definitely going to look into using in the greenhouse and in the garden.

wtf-ery said...

I've had goats before, but they weren't as friendly and useful as Miss Maybelle! Best wishes for your goat adventures - I can't wait to read about them and see the photos!

Here is the recipe!
http://healthylivingawaits.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/how-to-make-homemade-raw-goat-cheese/